Monday, June 16, 2008

My Trip To Florida

Well, I just returned from Florida. I don't travel too often, so when I do, I make sure to buy beer that isn't available to me in Louisiana. I was looking forward to finding some Terrapin and Lazy Magnolia, which you can't buy in Louisiana. Upon arriving in Florida, I looked for any wine or beer stores, but didn't find much in the beginning of the trip. I had to settle for Winn-Dixie. I looked at their beer selection, which wasn't bad. I decided to try SweetWater Hummer. This was the first time I tried this great Belgian White Ale brewed with coriander and orange peel. The orange taste stands out and it was a great beer for the beach! I was really excited about this one and would recommend it! I also bought some Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. This was a really good pale ale and also the first time I tried it. Not bad at all and I would buy it again! My last selection from Winn-Dixie was Yuengling Traditional Lager. I had this beer long ago in a gift pack, but wanted to try it again. I hear a lot of people putting this beer down, however, I found it to be really good and I really enjoyed it. I have a lot of respect for the oldest American Brewery. My Winn-Dixie visit turned out to be a good one.















I really wanted to find more beer while in Destin, but my time was running out. On the last day of our trip, we went to McGuire's Irish Pub, which I knew had a gift shop with liquor and beer. I was surprised to find some Terrapin Golden Ale and Dogfish Head in the cooler! The Terrapin was great! Very light and tasty while watching the sunset. I had heard a lot about this beer and it was nice to finally try it out. I still have the Dogfish Head in the fridge. I think I have the Festina Peche, which is peach flavored, but I need to check. I also enjoyed many great beers brewed by McGuire's. I love going here every year!

So overall, I must say my trip was a great beer experience! Looking forward to next year!

For the trip home, I had some left over Terrapin and I purchased some SweetWater Extra Pale Ale. Both are chilling in the fridge. What a great feeling. Oh, I wasnt' able to find Lazy Magnolia. Oh well, maybe next time.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Erik Huntoon said...

I love Yuengling and actually got to tour the brewery in Pottsville, PA earlier this year. You can see a full write up with photos on my blog.. I think I made a category called 'virtual brewery tours' or something like that to help find it. It was a great brewery and I have a lot of respect for what they brew.

Sounds like you had a fun trip. I could sure use a get away around now myself!

Anonymous said...

next time in Destin try Chan's behind Walgreen's on the corner of 98 and Mid-Bay bridge road.